Australian Standards and legislation have some limitations, in that these references do not consider the needs of all people.
One must remember that these Australian references are minimum standards only, so when we challenge how compliance can be achieved, it is reasonable to consider what is legislated overseas and how accessibility is codified in other parts of the world.
In some case, such as other western nations, these codes and standards could, in fact, be more prescriptive than our own. It is therefore then reasonable to consider these international references when developing a Performance (or Alternative) Solutions for accessibility issues as a form of compliance.
- International Code Council ICCA117.1:2009 – Accessible and usable buildings and facilities (ICCA117)
- International Organization for Standardization ISO21542:2011 – Building construction – Accessibility and usability of the built environment (ISO21542)
- Guidelines for planning a barrier-free environment
- British Standard 8300 Design of buildings and their approaches to meet the needs of disabled people – Code of Practice (BS8300)
- London Legacy Development Corporation Inclusive Design Standards 2013
- HM Government The Building Regulations 2010 Approved Document M Access to and Use of Buildings
- Hong Kong Design Manual: Barrier Free Access 2008
Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
- Universal Accessibility Marine Transportation Guidelines
- Universal Accessibility Destinations and Places of Accommodation
- Universal Accessibility Land Transportation Guidelines
- Universal Accessibility Built Environment Guidelines
- NEN 1814:2001 Accessibility Of Environment, Buildings And Dwellings
- New Zealand Standard NZS 4121:2001 – Design for access and mobility – Buildings and associated facilities (NZS 4121)
- Singapore Code on Accessibility in the Built Environment 2013
United States of America
- American with Disabilities Act – Accessibility guidelines for buildings and facilities ADA)
- Fair Housing Accessibility Guidelines Design Guidelines for Accessible Adaptable Dwellings
- Fair Housing Act Design Manual, A Manual to Assist Designers and Builders in Meeting the Accessibility Requirements of the FHA